Information about via ferratas of „Nagy-fal” (Great Wall) on Esztramos Hill
Climbing on via ferrata routes is not a safe sport rather a little alpinism. Please, keep the security rules as follow:
- You should have UIAA approved regular kit – sit harness, energy absorber and helmet. Via ferrata gloves are highly recommended.
- During the climbing you must keep a minimum distance – one „empty” hanging stage – from the the climber ahead.
- Only one person can stay on the „bridge” at a time
- Please, move carefully because of the loose stones. It was a quarry!
- Don’t stay under the wall at the fenced right side
- Use „Route 1” solely while climbing down. Getting up is forbidden on Route 1!
- If you are not an experienced climber, please, have respect the degrees of difficulty on via ferratas.
- Don’t stay directly under the wall. Rocks might get loose.
- Please, take care of the natural treasures. Go along by the marked paths.
- Use via ferratas at your own risk.
- Children can climb only with their skillful parents or experienced guides. Age of min. 10 is required. The three easiest routes are recommended for children.
- The route of „Nagy-fal” (Great Wall) is facing east. Steep parts get dry a day later after raining. Please, move carefully because of the quarry-kind surface.
Via ferratas of „Nagy-fal” (Great Wall) from left to right:
Route 1 of Getting Down („Lejöveti út”). It is 115 m long, by B degree of difficulty. It is only for coming down! You can descend 55 meters from the peak along by a wire-rope, then a ramp leads down to the creeky and rocky route of the Great Wall. Please, mind the stones on the ramp. The lower section is interesting and steep: it is needed to ensure the 60 meters of climbing down. Climbing time: 15 minutes.
Route 2: Hubert Kessler Memorial Route, 65 m long, by C-D degree of difficulty. It is a memorial route of the legendary caver and climber. It is varied, twisty and exciting. The most difficult part is the leaning wall of the „Tower” (C-D). The average difficulty is „B”. There is a shortcut at the Tower, left to the Route 1. Time: 30 minutes.
Route 3: „Babel”, by E degree of difficulty, 60 m long, with a rope-bridge. It was built up securely, but it is one of the most difficult via ferratas in Hungary. Nice parts are the two tower, the rope-bridge (5 m) and the crystal wall. It has got „C” degree at the bottom, but the upper section has „E” and requires strong biceps. Shortcut is at the first tower to the Memorial Route. Time: 30 minutes.
Route 4: „Fecskefal”, by D-E degree of difficulty, 65 m long. This route directly goes on the crystal wall. It has got „C-D” degree at the bottom, the upper section has „E”. Time: 30 minutes.
Route 5: „Méhes”, by D degree of difficulty, 65 m long. It can be used only by two persons at the same time. It is an exciting and wild route. Just right of it the stability of the wall is much worse, so please, step carefully on this section and even don’t stay under it. It has got „C-D” degree of difficulty all along. It is not recommended for small children. Time: 40 minutes.
Route 6: „Sárkányhát” („the Back of the Dragon”), by C degree of difficulty, 80 m long. It leads alongside the closing ridge of the „Nagy-fal” (Great Wall). The position of it is excellent and the view from here is impressive. It has mostly „B” degree of difficulty and „C” at the middle. It is recommended for athletic children with the control of skillful parents or experienced guides. Time: 40 minutes.
Service: KKL Kft. 1145 Budapest, Torontál utca 17.
Guide, equipment hiring, information: www.vasaltutakesztramoson.hu
In case of emergency, please, call: 112